IBM I Engineer
Permanent Specialist position
R450,000 - R650,000 pa cost to company
Posted 30 May 2018 by Yawee Human Capital
About the Position
The incumbent will ensure that THE COMPANY's IBM i environment is maintained by providing technical, business and people skills, expertise and experience necessary to provide resilient, efficient, secure and compliant system with 24/7 availability.
Summary of Job Description
- Supports installations, upgrades, configurations, deployments, migrations, and administration of IBM Power Systems hardware with IBM i operating system also including:
- Hardware Management Console (HMC)
- Virtual I/O Server (VIOS)
- IBM i backup and recovery (BRMS)
- Physical and virtual tape library solutions
- Direct-attached and external storage (Storwize V3700 and V7000)
- Performs management of IBM i partitioned (LPAR) environments.
- Plan and coordinates IBM i Operating System (OS) version upgrades, PTF(s), CUME(s), and preventative maintenance to minimize risk and service disruptions. Ensures system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
- Provides after-hours and weekend support as needed.
- Performs outage/failure/problem troubleshooting, server and software updates and feature enhancements to relevant technology infrastructure; implements and troubleshoots complex environments.
- Supports escalated issues and coordinates communications between operations staff.
- Supports staff to resolve complex issues.
- Interacts with other support departments to provide resilient computing environments for all clients.
- Documents environments, processes and procedures to enable support of environments by other team members.
- Provides periodic environment review and suggests enhancements of services or resiliency of environments.
- Remains current on technical and company related literature/correspondence and regularly reviews administrative procedures.
- Coordinates service outages with Change Control, Risk and Product as required.
- Documents post-incident response and root cause analysis.
- Provides technical leadership and acts as technical resource and mentor to team members.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable company policies and procedures as well as statutory laws and regulations as required to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviours within the environment.
- Responsible for assisting with client connectivity test to and from THE COMPANY's environment
- Responsible for providing technical advice to internal and external clients related to IBM i environment
- Responsible for ensuring 24/7 availability of the computing environment
- Responsible for implementing, documenting and maintaining disaster recovery plans and remediation for the IBM i
- Perform periodic security reviews and take remedial action as required
- Responsible for day to day management of the IBM i environments
- Responsible for managing relationships with 3rd party suppliers, service providers and vendors
- Responsible for monthly reporting of system's performance levels and providing reports for EXCO
Education, Experience and Technical Requirements
- Exposure to IBM i Operations required
- Relevant tertiary qualification (BSc / BCom / BTech / National Diploma)
- 8+ Years working in IBM i environment:
- V6R1, V7R1, V7R2 and/or V7R3
- LPAR and virtualization components
- Hardware Management Console (HMC)
- Basic network understanding surrounding TCP/IP and SNA
- Backup and Recovery Media System (BRMS)
- System recovery / Library refresh / Object restores
- PTFs and software/OS upgrades
- System troubleshooting / Root cause analysis
- Remote and local device configurations
- User account setup
- System security / Security setups / System audit
- Supporting multiple versions of IBM i Operating System solutions
- Journal management
- TLS certificate management
- General knowledge of:
- Virtual Tape Libraries
- Physical Tape Libraries
- Power Systems virtualization
- Storwize Flash Copy Manager
- ITIL Foundation training and/or certification is an advantage
- IBM Certification preferred
- Strong technical background
- Exposure to financial systems is an advantage
- Exposure to PCI DSS is an advantage
Competencies and Attributes
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills within required technology area
- Strong business and technical awareness as it relates to business goals
- Earns client, partner, and employee trust and respect by demonstrating commitment and technical expertise beyond general expectation
- Breaks down ideas, problems, or opportunities into components, solve problems, and provide solutions
- Works effectively under pressure and stressful situations
- Stays on leading edge of technology by learning new techniques and methods through continual education
- Evaluates, escalates, and exercises good judgment and make decisions based on limited available information
- A professional, who is a team player and who is willing to embrace our values.
- Self-starter with excellent technical, organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Follows through with tasks, projects, and troubleshooting with minimal supervision
- Superb customer service skills
- Outstanding oral, written, and technical/business communication skills
A drivers License is essential as well as own transport.
- ibm i
- ibm operations
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time